Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Fresh Purls

On my recent visit to Providence, Rhode Island, I stopped in at Fresh Purls. I don't know about you all, but anytime I am traveling, I look for a local yarn shop.

Traffic in Providence is absolutely NUTS, but I was able to find the shop, thanks to Stella, my trusty GPS. Parking is a little tricky, because it's on a small, busy street. I parked on a side street and walked back.

It was very bright and welcoming. The person working (and I'm sorry, I forgot to ask her name) was very nice and helpful. It got pretty busy while I was there. There were two other customers when I walked in and another two came in before I left. Another worker came in while I was still there. They were both very friendly.


It is a long, narrow shop, but it wasn't hard to maneuver. I ended up buying three skeins of yarn. Two from independent dyers. I really like when I see LYS' carry independents. However, one I realized does not have a yardage listed. I hope it will be enough for the fingerless gloves I want to make with it.

I'm not sure how "crochet-friendly" it is. They did have the Interweave Crochet magazine and the new accessories issue, that I have been looking for. Also for one of the skeins of yarn, the person working asked me to send a picture of the yarn worked up in crochet. They had a hat done in knit and she said she'd like to see how it works up in crochet.




(the hat in Lorna's Laces Zombie BBQ)

However, the only crochet hooks I saw were a set of Susan Bates. I'm always on the lookout for new hooks to try. So lack of supplies is one thing, but there did seem to be a genuine interest in crochet. I did not look at their books to see if they had any crochet titles.

I definitely would visit again, if I'm in the area.

1 comment:

buzzknit said...

Thank you - Becky enjoyed meeting and can't wait to see how the Zombie BBQ crochets up!!!