Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Nerd Wars T6

So I play a little game on Ravelry called Nerd Wars..I co-captain the Stargate team.  It's a heck of a lot of fun!  Our challenges this month:

Intellectual: Your challenge is to craft a project inspired by any (or all) of the design elements you would include in your personal coat of arms.
- Not sure yet what I'll be doing for this one

Nerd Culture: Your challenge this month is to craft a costume or part of a costume or find inspiration from and craft something based on a costume. If you are inspired by a costume, please also include a photo of the costume you chose so we can see the connection. Be creative, unleash your inner child, and craft something that you always wanted for dress-up when you were little, that you want for dressing up now, or that you want to dress someone else in now.
 - I have always wanted black and orange striped socks...I know I can find a costume that they go with...


Technical: 
For this challenge, make use of this wonderful array of choice and use a minimum of two distinct yarns or fibres in your project to exploit their special properties, and provide a note of what you have used.
 - I just bought yarns and a pattern to craft some two-toned fingerless gloves..

Geek Pride: Your challenge this month is to be inspired by Halloween, or by something spooky, and craft something that can be tied back to a specific moment in your Geekdom.
 - I believe I'm going to make these  in that yarn...I loved them so much, I bought the specific yarn.

 But not sure about a tie-in with Stargate...there are only 2 cats mentioned and they are not scary at all...

Scientific: Your challenge this month is to craft something that is inspired by a mathematical symbol!
- This will be a Moebius cowl in big chunky yarn...I have some Malabrigo Privada that I might use..

And the last challenge is Giving Geeks...I'll be making a donation....

Now for my dissertation...my friend brought me back these from Ireland two years ago..


I don't know how much is in there...I need to get a scale and weigh it...but I'm going to try and make an Aran vest...I like this one or this one or this one

Not sure my skillz are up to it though!  A dissertation is a project that should take three months to finish...I have to swatch them to figure out which one I might attempt...

Reading, I haven't done much in the past two weeks...I did set myself up with the challenge, but when school starts my reading always slows...because I am doing a lot of correcting...

But I intend to start tackling that list soon....and a friend just gave me another Ender book....so I'm itching to pick that up and read it!

As always head on over to...(it's been awhile for me):  Tami's and Ginny

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I have often been fascinated by Nerd wars - looks like a great way to find inspiration for knitting projects - as well as a lot of fun!

Tracey ~ Clover said...

Very pretty yarns and your group sounds intersting, it made me think of The Big Bang Theory for knitters!

Unknown said...

What awesome ideas. Nerd wars sounds like so much fun.

Gracey is not my name.... said...

There is a Big Bang Team - Team Bazinga!

Debby said...

Whar fun....

....love the yarns and the aran vest patterns...especially the one with the hood.

Happy knitting.
Deb

meghann said...

Oh my goodness - all those Halloween-y colors are phenomenal!

I've never heard of Nerd Wars but it sounds like you're having a lot of fun. xo

momto5 said...

your yarns look beautiful and your list of projects seems overwhelming. LOL good luck on tackling your geeky goodness.

Kathy said...

What fun and beautiful yarn colors! I love Halloween, so all the oranges, blacks, and purples are catching my eye this month!

MoeyMichele said...

Oh wow. Nerd Wars sounds like way too much fun. I am trying to move eight people overseas before Christmas so I really don't have time right now. I will just be jealous from a distance. :) Will check back to see what you've done with all those fab yarns.

Minding My Own Stitches said...

It's nice to see such a detailed explanation of nerd wars. I've heard of it, seen posts about it, but never realized how much work was involved! YIKES!

Love some of those yarn choices. Especially those memento mori socks!

Angela said...

Nerd knitting! Awesome!

Amy said...

Nerd wars sounds like a lot of fun. I have been doing the Harry Potter Cup and I love that it keeps me inspired. You have some really great projects lined up. I am impressed at your organization.