Saturday, July 26, 2014

Stash Saturday - the Irish Version

So I have a really good friend who travels to Ireland almost every year.....her grandparents (both sides) were from Ireland and she has been visiting since she was a child.

So her visit a couple years ago resulted in some yummy yarn for me...she went to a mill..and brought back this...

There were no labels...and they have been weighed..one is about 7 and the other 9 ounces....they look like they are single ply, but about a sport weight...

Deidre says Ireland smells like these skeins....

She also stopped at a store and got these for me...

This year, she and her husband went back for their 25th...(they took their youngest with them)
And she brought back yarn for me again!

and this awesome mug...




I have been told that although there are a lot of sheep seen in Ireland, it is sometimes difficult to actually find yarn...I appreciate the effort....she's such a fabulous friend! (I will add another friend tried to get me yarn in Italy, but the shops were always closed)

Some random photos...
See sheep!
or these sheep!

Here's a fun one...
And the beauty of the country in this one...
That's her new sweater she bought there....it's GORGEOUS!!!!

And here is a throwback shot of her previous trip, her daughter was dancing in the World's..I believe it was her last competition, as she retired...

I made her that cowl....she is very knit/crochet worthy..and has received MANY from me....










4 comments:

Renee Anne said...

I've been wanting to go to Ireland. Husband has a friend that lives there...well, actually, it's his sister's friend but we like her, too :)

Karen said...

I was just in Ireland!! So pretty and yes there are sheep everywhere! I brought myself home two skeins of Irish yarn - one for socks and another in a heavier weight yarn - I'll likely make a cowl out of it.

Holly Hollyson @ Full of Beans and Sausages said...

You lucky!! I love getting yarn gifts - the gift that keeps on giving!

Babajeza said...

Lovely, especially the mug. :-) My neighbour wanted to bring me yarn from Norway but she found it so scratchy and didn't buy any. She said I would have to wear at least two undershirts with long sleeves to not feel the scratchy yarn on my skin and that the sweater would be too thick and warm in our parts of the world. Hahaha. I was in Ireland once but didn't look for yarn back then. What are you making with the Irish yarn. Any ideas yet?