Thursday, July 5, 2018

Once Upon a Sock: July Edition

Welcome to this month's edition.  I missed the June edition, well because last week's of school and I had not been knitting or crocheting either....

I have no finished socks....but I have cast on for a couple more...just can't help myself...I think I have 9 on the needles at the moment....so let's update where I am:

Socks:
Kai-Mei: (April 2012) - has not changed 
Carlos and Arne socks (July 3 2015)- using a 9" needle...keep losing stitches. 
Espalier Socks (Jan 10, 2016) - started and stopped...
Just Keep Swimming - (6/16/16) 

Candy Cane  - 6/21/17Muertos - 8/13/17
Games Socks- 2/15/18
I'm Irish - 3/3/18
Cloudy Rainbows - 5/11/18 

Sunny Skies - 5/12/18
Northampton Socks - 5/26/18

If there is no picture, I have linked to my Ravelry project page.

Okay, so the Kai-Mei have been in timeout for awhile.  These are my oldest socks and really the reason I learned to knit...I pulled it out the other day and there is a dropped stitch...so I need to take some time and figure out where I am on it. 

Carlos and Arne socks:  I had put these on a 9" circular and stitches kept dropping off of it.  So I recently transferred the sock to Karbonz DPNs AND cast on the second sock.
So I'm almost at the heels of both socks, where I always seem to stop.  I'm just going to continue on with probably a slipped stitch heel....

Espalier socks - have not worked on these in forever...they are not very far along....I will probably frog them...going to pull the pattern up and decide after I take a look at it. The yarn is a self stripe that was part of a Hunger Games Club..

Just Keep Swimming - Again, I'm at the heel and I still haven't taken the time to learn the FLK heel, which is the one I want to do for this sock. So it's been in timeout.

Candy Cane - I need to decide on the contrast heel...again, I'm at the heel....yarn is Mothy and Squid

Muertos - so I have added a few more stripes....it is at 8" now, so again I'm at the heel....need to decide what contrast color I am going to do...The yarn is Desert Vista Dyeworks.

Games Socks - The yarn is from Eat, Knit, Dye, inspired by the Olympic rings.  I am trying to decide what color to use as the heel...the green came with it, but I'm thinking it might be too close to the last green stripe.  What do you think?

I'm Irish - I do love these so much!  I have decided on using the yellow for the heels and maybe toes..The yarn is from Brazen Stitchery.

Cloudy Rainbows - Yarn is from Manic Pixie Dream,,,,I also really love these....not sure what I'll do for the heels...maybe follow the pattern from Susan B. Anderson's Smooth Operator.

Sunny Skies - not much has been done on these...think I'm just going to again do the Vanilla Latte as I really want to see the clouds in the socks...

Northampton Socks - These are going to be shorties, so again that darn heel is holding things up!
Going to cast on for the second one, since I have two balls...maybe....

AND, I have a few more planned....I joined the Socks for Busy B's by Shannon Squire....I have the yarn for Free Time

AND, I ordered the Hermione yarn from Nomadic Yarns for Hermione and Crookshanks...

Think the contrast yarn is going to be the recently purchased Araucania Huasco Sock...what do you think?

I also bought some self-stripe at the recent Shop Hop
And since I'm re-organizing the stash, I just found a bunch of other non-indie dyed self stripe from Online and Regia, among others...I think 8 skeins....so we'll see what else I cast on....because I've also been collecting 9" and 10" circs...
This is in addition to the 8 socks that are on needles at the moment.....

Phew!!!!  That's a lot.....I hope to have at least 2 pair done for the August edition....please come and join us....the link-up is at Paula at Spin A Yarn.


5 comments:

Paula said...

Wow, that’s a lot of socks in progress! Be brave, heels really aren’t that bad.

Paula@SpinAYarn said...

I guess you weren't kidding when you said you didn't like heels :) I can't even imagine having that many on the go...kudos to you for remembering all the details. I really like every single pair...maybe you should ship them to me...I can't knit your heels...and then I can ship them back. Or just go for it! They really are not bad to do :D

Kat @ felinity knits said...

Wooow that is so many socks! Can't wait to see which ones you finish for next month.

Minding My Own Stitches said...

I like the green for the heel... it has a very Dr. Suess feel to me ;)

Although the FLK pattern is soooo many pages long, the instructions are actually quite brief and easy. I never did that whole make a cardboard cut out thing. When knitting toe up I knit until the foot section reaches an imaginary vertical line directly through my ankle bump. Because I have a high instep and pointy heel I increase 4 sts evenly across the sole stitches then start the FLK heel. I encourage you to try it without hesitation. It really is very easy!

Stefanie said...

Your candy cane socks remind me of Elf and your I'm Irish ones of The Grinch.