Thursday, December 30, 2010

To Knit or Not To Knit

I never had the desire to learn to knit. I crochet and I'm very happy crocheting. I make lots of things crocheting. I hated the assumption that I knit, whenever someone saw me with yarn, or that crochet is not as good as knitting. It's the ugly step-child in the fiber world.

Then I started seeing these fantastic patterns for knitted socks. I decided to learn to knit just to make socks. I tried it with straight needles and was just not comfortable. I "kinda" taught myself continental with circulars and was much more comfortable. I completed a square and a hat. I started a sock and then ripped it all out.
I have not knitted since, but have had the desire....but I also feel disloyal to crochet. I don't want to be one of those crocheters who learn to knit and leave crochet behind. For one thing I like amiguramis better crocheted than knitted. I just think they are cuter....

I kitted myself out....I bought a Namaste bag and a Lantern Moon needle holder. I bought several books, magazines and a bunch of needles and patterns with the yarn....but have not sat down to knit again. I have crocheted.





And my husband? He bought me this for Christmas
...I've heard that knitted socks are better and more comfortable, but I think crocheted socks are starting to come around.

I have the desire, but when I sit down, I reach for my crochet instead....

Just read this interesting post about a crochet vs knit myth

2 comments:

Where the nodding violets grow said...

Thanks for the link, I really enjoyed reading it. I think that if you love crochet you should continue with that. And you have a great knitting kit to fall back on if ever the mood takes you I can't wait to see a pair of crocheted socks. I have never seen a pair before.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you have some great crafting treasures! Followed a link to your site from Lori's Thrumbs blog. You have a great site :)