Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Knitting and Crochet Blog Week - Day 3


One Great Knitter

Write about a knitter whose work (whether because of project choice, photography, styling, scale of projects, stash, etc) you enjoy. If they have an enjoyable blog, you might find it a good opportunity to send a smile their way.

As I crochet, this would be one great crocheter. I have thought about this one alot, but the natural choice jumped to my mind when I first read this...it would be Kathy Merrick.

I have met several famous crochet stars: Doris Chan, Lily Chin, Drew Emborsky, Rita Weiss, Margaret Hubert, Mary Beth Temple and Dee Stanziano. I've mostly met them through attending CGOA's (Crochet Guild of America) annual convention for two years. I enjoy their work and I have enjoying meeting them, but Kathy has really stood out for me.

I met Kathy through a workshop she gave at Creative Fibers last year. I have been trying to visit all the LYS' in Connecticut for a couple of years. When I stopped at Creative Fibers, I read about the workshop and thought I would go. It was right before the weekend that Stitches East was in Hartford.

Kathy was a fantastic presenter! I had bought her book and many of us "oohed and aahed" over it (even the knitters). I came to realize that many projects that I had bookmarked in magazines were Kathy Merrick projects. Several of my friends had made her "Babette Blanket" the year before, I admired it, but I don't make too many blankets.

In the early days, I really didn't pay attention to the author of a pattern, but that has now changed.

Kathy was very personable and I really enjoyed the workshop. But what really struck me was that she advised to play with color and to play with color outside of your comfort zone. Now there is not a color I dislike, although I am not attracted to blues or pastels, but I have a wide color range. However I do tend to drift into the purples/greens and autumn shades. So I have been trying to follow Kathy's advice to play with color.

She also introduced me to Koigu yarn. I now have a little bit of a stash of this, I just love the colors! Here is a pic of Kathy's book "Crochet in Color" and also "Crocheted Gifts" She has a few projects in that one, surrounded by some of the yarn I have bought to make a couple of her patterns. I don't think she has a blog or a website, but I have connected to her on Ravelry and I believe she is also on Facebook.







No comments: