Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Amish Auction

I've been asked by a couple of people about how the Amish felt about the picture taking. I asked Shelby before I took pictures and she said that many of the Amish in their area now have cell phones for their businesses and they take pictures of each other on them. They also have to use computers for some of the businesses. So although they still keep to many traditional ideas, some things have been loosened up. They still do not have phones in their homes or electricity, but are making use of some modern technology. She also said that there used to be signs asking not to take pictures of the quilts, but there were no signs up and noone asked me to stop taking pictures, which I would have done.

I have never been to an auction and it was pretty cool!
Amish Auction
Amish Auction 2 The second one is a bit blurry at first, but clears up. Sorry couldn't figure out how to embed these and was too tired to research it....

My quilt:

My friend, Amy's quilt: I really liked her quilt. It was one of the first ones that I liked when we previewed them, but I was moved to bid on the one I won. I bid on another one earlier, but dropped out as I wasn't in love with it. I did not get a picture of it.

Here are some of the quilts with some up close pictures. The one with them all hanging in plastic is how they were before the auction and you could take a look at them..There were many colors and sizes.






1 comment:

Where the nodding violets grow said...

What great quilts. It must be quite difficult not to bid keep bidding. What a great post.