Friday, August 9, 2013

Finished Objects Friday

Haven't done one of these in awhile!

I am still working on my Cedar Leaf Shawlette and have spent the majority of the past 2-3 days on it..I have 16 more leaves to do, then finishing...today I left the house for the first time since I came home on Saturday...and actually got in a car...but it was only to go have lunch...although tomorrow I may head down to an LYS by the shore, as there is a visiting show there.....it's about an hour away....my body just shudders at the thought of being in my car for an hour....

But I do have those two hats I talked about earlier in the week.....they were both made with yarn that was sent to mt by Schachenmayr Yarn as part of their promotion for this new line of yarn....the contest runs till the end of the month, but the deadline to request yarn was today.

I requested some yarn colors, but the first yarn that was sent to me were total neutrals:
I thought the yarn would be scratchy, but it was very soft and easy to work with...I'd try other colors in this yarn..It is 70% acrylic and 30% New Wool.  Since the colors are so neutral, I went with a simple beanie style hat....


I did it brim up and made a more stretchy brim by crocheting into the back loops only....I crocheted this in my car on the way home, on one of the days that my brother did all of the driving.  I actually like it quite a bit....

When I got home, surprise, I had another skein of yarn waiting...
Obviously chunky, 100% acrylic.  It was fun to work with, but did take a toll on the hands, being so chunky.  I had an idea...and I only think it worked out partially...I wanted to make an open hat, that could be converted to a cowl....I crocheted into the back loops to give it a raised edge and alternated between half double crochet and double crochet....The hat is a bit big....and I would have liked to add another row or two, but ran out of yarn...I like the way it looks, but I just prefer my hats to come down a bit further on my head....if they were to ask me for the pattern, I would have to adjust the size...


but, as a cowl, it works well and will be very warm!!!!!
There is a tie at the top of the hat, that ties it closed when it is a hat, and that you can open to use as a cowl.....

So those are my two entries for the contest....

Please go check out these other places for more finished objects..
here, here, and here

oh there is a new one...here












8 comments:

Kathryn Ray said...

I like the cowl/hat idea.

Good luck in the contest!

Oombawka Design said...

It is lovely as a cowl - a wee bit small as a hat though I think - but I also like my hats to come down a bit further on my head ;)

Unknown said...

Looks warm and cozy!~

heather said...

I love crocheting in the car...perfect time killer and you get something out of the deal as well!

Love it as a cowl!

Cathy Johnson said...

The cowl/hat idea is great, and I LOVE it as a cowl... like the hat too but I'm not really a person so I prefer the cowl more ;)

The Gingerbread Lady said...

Clever idea! What a smart crafter you are! I love Schachenmayr yarns, they're our standard go-to yarn over here, it's interesting to see that they're being marketed in the US:

Crochet Addict UK said...

Love the hat. The hat and cowl idea is good. I think it looks fantastic as a cowl. It's a really nice colour. Sounds like fun and interesting having to come up with different ideas for different yarns.
Thanks for linking at crochet addict uk.
Sue

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

Very nice entries! I like the convertible design a lot. Good luck.