Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Travel Tuesday - Sturbridge Village, Sturbridge, Mass

It's been a few weeks...when school starts, I just seem to have so little time,..or am too exhausted to sit at the computer....

Old Sturbridge Village is a living history museum.  At the end of the summer, I took my young niece and her two brothers...they had never been....



The day we visited, they were having special displays on fiber, yarn, yarn dyeing...yes, that might have been the reason I chose that day!

They do have costumed historians, who will answer your questions....

Yarn dyeing, drying in the sun...yarn on the hoof....


We took a boat ride, she let each of the kids steer the boat for a bit.  Sammi was very into it!


Processing the wool... carding mill

 Blacksmith shop

Some examples...everything is made by hand, the way it would have been done in that time period...it is just remarkable....

If you've never visited a living history museum, I urge you to find one....they are fascinating...

Here's a throwback...remember those students I talked about on Sunday...here are two more from the same class, on our field trip to Sturbridge (I was awarded a grant, it was the only way to afford it for our students...some of them said it was the best trip ever)

http://bonnieroseblog.co.uk/




1 comment:

Holly said...

I took some children to Battlefield Park House and Museum in Hamilton, it was a very similar set up and we all (myself included) had a whale of a time!