Sunday, September 1, 2019

Year of Projects, Week 35

Good Sunday morning my friends!  This is a holiday weekend in the US....so the students start back on Tuesday...I'm as ready as I'll ever be....
I'm doing something called Flexible Seating this year.  So the children will not have assigned desks, heck some won't even have a desk...I have the option of desks or tables, or there are some options for sitting on the floor.  My Mom came in on Friday and helped for a couple of hours.  She organized my non-fiction library..which is a BIG job..it took her about 2 hours....

So there were some questions about the Beach Bag...I don't have it at the Homestead, so I'll grab it when I go back to the house for a better picture...It is made with Lily Sugar and Cream cotton, it is not a striping yarn, so there are ends and it is really tough on the hands...the pattern is called Jaunty Shells  As it is crochet, it has left holes, hence the need for a lining....I made it years ago, but have yet to line it...I have used it as is on occasion...

Since I was setting up the classroom and attending PD, I didn't have a ton of time for crafting..and was exhausted most days.  Slept 10+ hours one night!!!  But I have done a few water bottle coasters...My room is extrememly hot all year, so the kids bring in water bottles.  I've started making coasters for them.  I have 7 made previously and made 3 more this week....just a simple crochet rectangle..
Again made with Lily Sugar and Cream cotton...I have a tub of it! I don't know why I bought so much, but I did....anyone want some???  I have not woven in the ends yet.....

I got both of my Christmas second socks to the heel.....
And a few more rows on the Monster Mash socks...trying to decide how long I want them.  I tend to make them about 7 inches....these might bag or slouch...I think they are going to be a bit big around...but my gosh, I love this yarn!

Oh and a quick picture of the two finished samples...they are on their way to their destination now...

So that is about it....first week of school, not sure if I'll get much done this week....we shall see....

2019 Finishes!!!!!
Muertos: 8/13/17-1/19/19
Who Socks: 10/7/18-1/22/19 (the Who socks were never on my list)
My Shelly Valentine: 2/10/16-2/9/19 (almost three years exactly!!!)
Alpaca Fun: 2/24/19-3/3/19
Green is the Best: 12/23/18-3/10/19
Willow Fields: 9/6.14-3/16/19
Lucy's Zebra 7/5-7/6/19
Black Widow Shawl 5/5/19-7/12/19
Lucy's Elephant Reserve 7/24/18-8/2/19
Shark Socks 7/28/19-8/12/19 
Swedish Block 8/20/19 - 8/24/19
Garter stitch block 8/24/19
Samples 8/28/19 finished

Works In Progress:         
WIPS: Crochet:
Round Ripple: (Started 2006 (?) Aiden)-not sure he'd want this anymore, being a high school freshman and all, but I think I'll finish it for him. He is now a sophomore.
Around the World Afghan: (April 2010): about ¼ done - I looked at this recently and I'm still liking it, so I'll keep it...maybe make it a baby blanket instead.
Sunrise Sunset Afghan: this has been hibernating awhile, 6 squares done. I still love the look of this.
Tabard Tunic (NW Diss 2/1/14) - Haven't made a final decision on this yet.
Throwback Poncho 2/19/17 - would like to finish for the fall

Venetian Cowl (July 1, 2018)

Knit: 
Learn to Knit Afghan: (started 2010): 3 squares done, I put this in the giveaway yarn bags..not thrilled with colors....will use squares at school for water bottles..
Shark in the Woods (11/27/14)- I really love this, but it's a lot of cabling and I'm not a fan..about 1/2 done.
Vanilla fingerless mitts (12/25/15) - Think I'm going to frog and do different mitts or crochet them.
Zombie Vixen mitts (10/17/15)- still working on them, again cabling
Garter Path Shawlette (5/30/16)- I have frogged this a couple of times...
Swinging with Winkle (6/4/16)- I love this so much!  Just need to finish it! Added a few rows
Meandering Top (5/20/16) - Took it out, at the separation of arms, looks really big!
Bulky Cowl - this hurts my hands to work on...think I need slippery needles...
Splediferous Blanket - (4/15/17) Roald Dahl club, mitered blanket
Selbu Mitts - 3/26/18

Beekeeper Cardigan - 7/1/18 
Mixed Pompom Hat: 7/27/19

Socks:
Kai-Mei: (April 2012) - has not changed, 
Espalier Socks (Jan 10, 2016) - started and stopped...

Candy Cane June 21, 2017Games Socks- 2/15/18
Cloudy Rainbows - 5/11/18 

Sunny Skies - 5/12/18
Merry Xmas - Box O'Chocolates: 2/9/19, frogged 7/21/19
Snow Day: 3/4/19
Merfolk: 7/25/19
Monster Mash: 8/16/19 (cuff started awhile ago)

Scarves/Shawls:
Splashy Flowers: (May 2011) - add a motif scarf, don't see that being finished soon...
Light in Shadows (1/14/14) - I love this so much...need to start the new direction, so need to sit down and figure it out..
 

Bags:
Beach Bag: (started May 2010)  Just needs lining sewn in, I used it this year without the lining...so may just call it a day on this.... 

 KAL/CALs:
 
Fire and Blood (5/4/14) - not anytime soon
Outlander MKAL (8/8/14)  - possibility of finishing this..the yarn is so yummy


8 comments:

Babajeza said...

All the best for the new school year. For us it's alreaday week 4. Regula

Lucy Bowen said...

Hope you have a lovely weekend and that your first week goes well. We are back this week as well. I love the idea of the coasters for your students and your socks are very cute as well.

kathy b said...

Wishing you a wonderful school year. I love our teachers. I love your socks . Great progress over the SUMMER!!!!!
Be extra nice to those of us who have school refusal. I was a big baby and cried all of kindergarten and first grade

Breathing Life said...

Flexible sitting makes so much sense. I had many students over the years who just couldn't bear to sit in a desk. Blessings on the start of your school year. As a retired teacher I always view September first as the beginning of the year rather than January 1.

HighlandHeffalump said...

What a lovely classroom it sounds. A lovely idea to make some coasters. People are so funny and fixed about where they sit, I notice in my felting group and camera club people always sit in the same place. It will be interesting to see if the kids switch around or still find their spot they like best.

Leftycrafter said...

Good idea to male coasters for the kids bottles. Yo8r Christmas socks are really moving along. The monster mash sock is cool. Have a lovely school year.

Sam I Am...... said...

Best wishes for this school year! My daughter started back 2 weeks ago and this past week the kids went back. That's in Iowa. She spent that week before the kids came back with meetings and getting her room(s) ready too. She's an art teacher for several schools.
Wow! You went to town on your socks! I need to get some Halloween yarn...love yours!
Glad you got some good rest. At least it's only a 4 day week! Happy Labor Day!

Zana said...

Best wishes for the new school year. The coasters are a great idea for the classroom. Your socks are really coming on and look fun.