Sunday, March 1, 2020

Year of Projects: Year 7, Week 9

ETA:  I started this last week and then never posted.

So I missed a couple of weeks.  I'm sorry.

Let's talk mental health and women's health.  If you watch my YouTube channel, you may have seen this already...

I'm in perimenopause.....so much fun, not...anyway, there is a high rate of suicide and suicide attempts among women between the ages of 46-56....after I was first officially diagnosed, I started having some suicidal thoughts....this is not a side effect of menopause that is widely known, but it is a major side effect...I realized that something was wrong and contacted my doctor, she put me on hormones...this month (February), I forgot to take them....so until the 11th, when I remembered I had not taken them. I was having a really bad day...I came home from school and told my husband to put away all the pain medication and I took my hormone.  After being on them for a few days, I am much better....but it was a bad week and a half....I didn't want to do anything.  I wanted to stay in bed.  I had to force myself to get out of bed and go to work.
So, my warning is just be aware that this is a side effect and take care of yourself...

Needless to say not much crafting has happened...I have mostly been working on one pair of socks...I'd hoped to have them done by Valentine's Day, but that did not happen....

Okay, so this is the new stuff....since I last wrote, I've finished two pair of socks...The second pair last night at 11:00.
This is Box O'Chocolates.  I wanted to finish them for Valentine's Day, but that did not happen.
Yarn is Freckled Whimsey Dreamy, which is 75% merino, 15% nylon, 10% tencel in the colorway Sweet Treats and Rosy Cheeks.

The pattern is, of course, Vanilla Latte...with a Fish Lips Kiss Heel.  The cuff and heel are Leading Men Fiber Arts in Bent Neck Lady (I believe, I don't have it listed in my stash)


Sunny Skies, again Vanilla Latte with a slip stitch heel.  I used some leftover yarn from White Birch Fiber Arts for the rainbow heels.

The yarn is CuppyCake Yarnz in Sunny Skies.  It is 75% Sw merino, 25% nylon.  I'm not sure where I got the yarn, it's not listed on my Ravelry page.  I don't think she is dying any longer.

There are blotches of orange throughout the yarn.
which is kind of annoying, you can see two in this photo

So I'm glad to have some free needles.  I have lots more self stripe socks to cast on.  But I do still have about 12 pair on the needles, so may finish one or two pair more before casting on again.

I think I'm going to focus on the Van Gogh shawl for now....
I haven't worked on it since casting on.

There has also been some stash acquisition, not too much..

Lollipop Yarn is hard to get, so when I caught an update, I picked this up - Irish Lullaby
Desert Vista Dyeworks - Urband Decay in green
Desert Vista Dyeworks - Cinder Zombody
Desert Vista Dyeworks - Christopher Zombody Robin

We also adopted a cat.  Those of you that follow me on Instagram have already met Bella.  We got her on Valentine's Day.  She just turned 4 in early February, was owner surrounded.  She's a love bug,  I absolutely LOVE her...she was an indoor/outdoor cat and is getting used to being an indoor cat.
She was sleeping next to me, while I was writing this post.

And I posted another video last week....

Off to catch up on blogs, catch you next week....

2020 Completed Projects:
Merry Knitmas - 1/25/2020
Box O' Chocolates - 2/23/2020
Sunny Skies - 2/29/2020


Works In Progress:         
WIPS: Crochet:
Round Ripple: (Started 2006 (?) Aiden is now a senior..so maybe I finish it for him to take to college?
Around the World Afghan: (April 2010): about ¼ done - I'm not even sure where this is at the moment, with projects in two places.  I'll think on this.
Sunrise Sunset Afghan: this has been hibernating awhile, 6 squares done. I still love the look of this. Don't think this is at the Homestead, will have to check.
Tabard Tunic (NW Diss 2/1/14) - Haven't made a final decision on this yet.

Venetian Cowl (July 1, 2018) I love this, but the stitch just takes a Loooong time!
Billy shoes - Jan 1, 2019

Knit: 
Shark in the Woods (11/27/14)- I really love this, but it's a lot of cabling and I'm not a fan..about 1/2 done.
Vanilla fingerless mitts (12/25/15) - Started the second one, past the thumb point..
Zombie Vixen mitts (10/17/15)- still working on them, again cabling, review these, maybe done for St, Patrick'S Day
Meandering Top (5/20/16) - Took it out, at the separation of arms, looks really big!
Bulky Cowl - this hurts my hands to work on...think I need slippery needles...
Splediferous Blanket - (4/15/17) Roald Dahl club, frogged the mitered and changed the pattern (jan 12, 2020)
Selbu Mitts - 3/26/18

Beekeeper Cardigan - 7/1/18

Socks:
Kai-Mei: (April 2012) - has not changed, 
Espalier Socks (Jan 10, 2016) - started and stopped...
2017Games Socks- 2/15/18
Cloudy Rainbows - 5/11/18 
Zombie Candy Corn - Oct 7,  
Snow Day: 3/4/19
Merfolk: 7/25/19
Monster Mash: 8/16/19 (cuff started awhile ago)
Rhinebeck Socks - 10/6/19
Grinchmas Socks Dec 7, 2019
Whammed Socks Dec 7, 2019
Patons Ragg Socks - Jan 1, 2019

Scarves/Shawls:
Splashy Flowers: (May 2011) - add a motif scarf, don't see that being finished soon...
Light in Shadows (1/14/14) - I love this so much...need to start the new direction, so need to sit down and figure it out..

Garter Path Shawlette (5/30/16)- I have frogged this a couple of times...
Swinging with Winkle (6/4/16)- I love this so much!  Just need to finish it! Added a few rows
Knits4Comfort Advent Shawl 12/13/18
Breeze 11/15/19Zomboni - January 1, 2020 (restarted Jan 18)
Van Gogh - January 18

KAL/CALs: 
Fire and Blood (5/4/14) - not anytime soon
Outlander MKAL (8/8/14)  - possibility of finishing this..the yarn is so yummy

Bags:
Beach Bag: (started May 2010)  Just needs lining sewn in, I used it this year without the lining...so may just call it a day on this.... 

8 comments:

JustMagicMaria said...

Love that you have a YouTube channel! It's cool to be able to put a face to a name. Love the colors on your Valentine's socks and I'm right there with you on the perimenopause thing. Getting old's not for sissies, is it?

Lucy Bowen said...

I love all of your socks and well done you for getting some lollipop yarn.
I did know about mental health issues surrounding peri menopause, but only because I follow and subscribe to Liz Earle wellbeing. She is a massive advocate of HRT despite the bad press for mainly that reason. She does lots of interviews and research into menopause and it's worth taking a look.

Leftycrafter said...

Lovely socks. I kind of like the orange spots. Call it a character mark. So glad you recognized your suicidal thoughts and took quick action. I was lucky,mentally, when going through menopause. Never took hormones because of some health concerns from my Drs. Only issue is, 16 years later and I still get hot flashes.

Breathing Life said...

I applaud your bravery posting about your mental health journey. I too suffer at times more and at times less, but I am not always to brave about talking about it except to close friends and family. I am glad you are finding some relief through the hormone therapy.

Your socks are wonderful - especially the cheery yellow ones with the rainbow heels. I kinds like the flecks of orange here and there - like a little surprise.

Glad to see you hear and posting. Continued good mental and physical health and I look forward to reading your YOP update next week.

kathy b said...

You are brave to share your struggle . Thank you. I'm sorry you suffered. Im glad you have good family support. And you have us. We will always be here as your knit community. .you are not alone.:)

I love your sock stash! I will try to catch your video soon. The days are flying by! Its already March!

kathy b said...

Oh and I LOVE that you have given that pretty girl kitty a home ! a great home!

Sam I Am...... said...

So sorry to hear about your struggles. Glad you felt comfortable enough to share with us. You were so smart to do something about it and to recognize you needed help. I still have not watched your podcast....duh! I wrote it down in my daily list now in BIG letters and will be binge watching!
I love your socks and I like the orange bits! LOL! I need to get back into my sock knitting and more! I really need to organize my projects and get some things done as in finished! I will pray that you get through this and that you find peace and healing. Hugs ~ Sam

Paula said...

Glad to hear that you are doing better. Keep taking care of yourself!
Bella is a doll. She reminds me a bit of my sweet Misty who I still miss.
Yay for finished socks. The rainbow heel is great, especially on sky socks.