Sunday, July 21, 2019

Year of Projects, Year 6, Week 29

Good afternoon.....teacher here on summer break...I forget what day of the week it is.....so I'm updating kind of late....

But I have a finish! A pair of socks, just not a matching pair. Although my besties, Deirdre would wear them like this....me, I'm a matchy-matchy and my socks have to match...
The thinner stripe is Mothy and the Squid and the thicker is White Birch...I have lots of White Birch!  I immediately cast on their mates, and they will be my travel knitting....but I have so many more I want to cast on!

Then we have these
They are way too big for me.....I did a 1x1 ribbed cuff, I usually do a 2x2.....The needles were new, Zing, but the same size I normally use...Occassionaly a regular stockinette stitch will just be too big on me.

Although I am fat, I am small bone structured and my ankles and calves are skinny...My father used to say he didn't know how I walked on those toothpicks!  So I really need a sock with some grip, which is why I mainly do Vanilla Latte...what other sock patterns do you know that fit this bill....This is also why I don't do too many patterned socks....My Hermione's Everyday pair are huge on me.....but I still wear them...with boots.....I know I can fudge that one to make it smaller...I think I did the cast-on suggestion of 64, I now know I need to do 56 (or smaller)....and yes I know there are some patterned socks that pull in, most of them tend to have cables...and I don't do cables well, yet....

I tried to save the cuffs, but you can see how much bigger they are....

And I added the heel and turn to another sock...
The yarn is called Sunny Skies, the dyer is either no longer dyeing or online.....so I took the rainbow repeat from my extra yarn from a White Birch skein...I'm going to love these...

I did a few rounds on the sleeve of the elephant sweater, but it's a bajillion degrees and we have no a/c at the Homestead...so it's really only been picking up the socks when I'm not too sweaty.....

And some people were interested about the Homestead....I did start a blog about it...but it's been slow going....our driveway is a 1/4 mile through the trees.....we have wifi, but it sucks....it's almost like having dial-up again...we have no other option, as the driveway is too long...we were told we would need to pay about $10,000 to lay the underground wires...yes, that is not happening.....so loading pictures takes a looooong time!  I will get there and let you know when it is up.....

So no real finishes this week, but lots of sock knitting....

2019 Finishes!!!!!
Muertos: 8/13/17-1/19/19
Who Socks: 10/7/18-1/22/19 (the Who socks were never on my list)
My Shelly Valentine: 2/10/16-2/9/19 (almost three years exactly!!!)
Alpaca Fun: 2/24/19-3/3/19
Green is the Best: 12/23/18-3/10/19
Willow Fields: 9/6.14-3/16/19
Lucy's Zebra 7/5-7/6/19
Black Widow Shawl 5/5/19-7/12/19


Works In Progress:         
WIPS: Crochet:
Round Ripple: (Started 2006 (?) Aiden)-not sure he'd want this anymore, being a high school freshman and all, but I think I'll finish it for him. He is now a sophomore.
Around the World Afghan: (April 2010): about ¼ done - I looked at this recently and I'm still liking it, so I'll keep it...maybe make it a baby blanket instead.
Sunrise Sunset Afghan: this has been hibernating awhile, 6 squares done. I still love the look of this.
Tabard Tunic (NW Diss 2/1/14) - Haven't made a final decision on this yet.
Throwback Poncho 2/19/17 - would like to finish for the fall

Venetian Cowl (July 1, 2018)

Knit: 
Learn to Knit Afghan: (started 2010): 3 squares done, I put this in the giveaway yarn bags..not thrilled with colors....will use squares at school for water bottles..
Shark in the Woods (11/27/14)- I really love this, but it's a lot of cabling and I'm not a fan..about 1/2 done.
Vanilla fingerless mitts (12/25/15) - Think I'm going to frog and do different mitts or crochet them.
Zombie Vixen mitts (10/17/15)- still working on them, again cabling
Garter Path Shawlette (5/30/16)- I have frogged this a couple of times...
Swinging with Winkle (6/4/16)- I love this so much!  Just need to finish it! Added a few rows
Meandering Top (5/20/16) - Took it out, at the separation of arms, looks really big!
Bulky Cowl - this hurts my hands to work on...think I need slippery needles...
Splediferous Blanket - (4/15/17) Roald Dahl club, mitered blanket
Selbu Mitts - 3/26/18

Beekeeper Cardigan - 7/1/18 
Lucy's Elephant - 7/24/18, ripped out and restarted next size up 1/26/19


Socks:
Kai-Mei: (April 2012) - has not changed, 
Espalier Socks (Jan 10, 2016) - started and stopped...
Games Socks- 2/15/18
Cloudy Rainbows - 5/11/18 

Sunny Skies - 5/12/18
Box O'Chocolates: 2/9/19, frogged 7/21/19
Snow Day: 3/4/19

Scarves/Shawls:
Splashy Flowers: (May 2011) - add a motif scarf, don't see that being finished soon...
Light in Shadows (1/14/14) - I love this so much...need to start the new direction, so need to sit down and figure it out..
 

Bags:
Beach Bag: (started May 2010)  Just needs lining sewn in, I used it this year without the lining...so may just call it a day on this.... 

 KAL/CALs:
 
Fire and Blood (5/4/14) - not anytime soon
Outlander MKAL (8/8/14)  - possibility of finishing this..the yarn is so yummy

11 comments:

Leftycrafter said...

Once I found the stitch count and needle size that fits my leg, I never vary from it no matter the pattern. Sounds like you may need to use a size 1 or 0 and 56 stitches all the time no matter the pattern. Cables do pull a fabric in but if done right they have nice stretch too. A 1x1 ribbing should be tighter than a 2x2. Once you find the perfect needle and stitch count you will fly with socks.

The heat wave is horrible for New England. When we moved to PA I insisted on central A/C. Everyone though I was nuts but guess whose house always had company during the summer. I hope this heat wave breaks soon for you.

Lucy Bowen said...

I love all of your socks! I have two more days then I join you on summer break - I can't wait!

HighlandHeffalump said...

A lovely collection of socks. I have small feet and use a 2mm needle on Hermione’s everyday socks pattern rather than 2.5mm needle and that seems to work ok. I’m a US 5 foot size. I haven’t tried the vanilla latte socks yet because as HES fits I just stick with it, same as you with the vanilla ones. 🙂

JustMagicMaria said...

You're making great progress on your socks. My favorite is the one in the Sunny Skies yarn!

Becki said...

Toothpick legs! Oh my... your talk of socks took me back. I have thin legs and arms (except for the upper arms - they aren't so thin anymore). Anyway, as a kid I could never keep my socks up. I would put a rubber band around the ribbing at the top and roll the ribbing down to cover the ribbing. I'm suddenly realizing why it is that like long socks! I just can't imagine how anyone keeps calf-length socks up. Even though I'm overweight now my legs are fairly thin. I still wear knee highs under slacks/jeans in the winter. Love the Christmas-y looking socks!!!

Anonymous said...

Hello! Permit me to start by saying my name - Jaime although i don't like when people use my full
name. He used regarding unemployed the difference is he is an interviewer and he's
doing pretty good financially. New York is going to be his quarters.

Acting is among the many things he loves a large percentage of.

Her husband and her keep a website. You would want to use
it out: http://brucia-grassi-efficace-it.eu/idealica.html

Ruth said...

You're making great progress on the socks and I'm a matchy matchy sock wearer also. I find a simple rib sock to be far more fitting than a cable as sometimes there is no give in a cable, it's just tight and I do find a 2x2 rib better fitting than a 1x1 which can sometimes be a little loose. Hope you find what works and fits you.

Breathing Life said...

Yes, lots of sock knitting. Congrats on finishing your teaching year. You deserve to R E L A X. I too want to hear more about your homesteading.

Kim said...

Oh dear! Socks can be tricky and I have been perfecting the perfect fit for myself for a year. I do my socks with size 0 needles, and because my pearling is looser than my knit stitch, I do the pearl stitches on my heels with a size 00. I have a normal sized foot, but my calves are fat, and I have a high instep. So, I do gusset stitches for the instep and I am still trying to figure out the details for consistently making it fit my let! I like tight, snug socks, so I usually do a ribbed pattern of some kind.
I hope you get heat relief soon!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Santiago is the place I'm called and my niece
doesn't care about it at nearly. I've always loved living
co. For years she has been working with regard to interviewer and she
or he will not change it anytime in a little while. Fishing amongst the
of issues that he loves most. My wife and I conserve a website.
You'll probably decide to to give it a try here: http://tabletkinaodchudzanie.com.pl/chocolate-slim-dzialanie-sklad-opinie-cena-i-gdzie-kupic/

Stefanie said...

I LOVE your Christmas colorway socks.