Sunday, July 14, 2013

The Yarn Barn - Lawrence, KS

Today I stopped by The Yarn Barn in Lawrence, KS.  I was familiar with their shop, as they have a large booth at Stitches East every year. 

They are in a college town, cute town, cute downtown...lots of other shopping and food places near by....(we had gourmet sandwiches)

When I walked in, I was not greeted...and no one asked if they could help me...I was surprised...

There was a large group knitting/crocheting at a front table....there was also another group at another table in the middle of the store...and another group at the back of the store...not sure what they were doing, I did not wander back there..

Although, I was not greeted, as soon as I asked for help, it was given immediately and with enthusiasm....she was very accommodating, as the pattern I bought..."Baby Lamb Cuffs" by Tiny Owl Knits was done in store samples with different yarn..I liked the store version a bit better, so she was busy tracking down the yarn for me....

I went with the yarn the store used for the background, Lanaloft Sports Weight in a darker grey, (they did not have the other colors in the Lanaloft) I went with Frog Tree for the lamb's body, and Mountain Colors for the legs and head...she also gave me a little packet that they had made for the embroidery on the face! 
This will be the first time I've done colorwork in knitting...I'm going to save it for August to see if it fits into a Nerd Wars challenge....but I'm excited by them!

I also fell in love with a color of Rowan Tweed, so bought it and a matching color..
I did ask to take pictures and was given permission, as long as I did not take pictures of samples..
She was weaving a beautiful piece..I ended up taking the nephew back there, because he picked up a shuttle and asked me what it was..it was easier to show him..

It was hard to get pictures without samples....so these are all over pictures, but not focused on the samples...and mostly of the weaving section of the store...

I thought it was a nice store, but it could be overwhelming to a newbie...it was probably the busiest store I've ever been in, except Webs....but since Webs checkout counter is in the front, you are always greeted right away...

2 comments:

Babajeza said...

It's always great to visit a yarn store when you are on vacation. I'm looking forward to visitng the one in Newport, RI. :-)

Paula said...

I expected Yarn Barn to be more like a big warehouse. It was cool to see what it is really like.