Monday, January 5, 2015

Connecticut A -Z - Beaches


Full disclosure...I am not a frequent beach visitor....and I am entering into a hot button debate issue..

See, Connecticut has a complex when it comes to beaches....first off, we don't have any beaches on the actual ocean (Atlantic)...our beaches are located on Long Island Sound...

There are two state park beaches, Hammonasset and Rocky Neck and many town beaches (and there has been controversy with some of those, particularly in Fairfield/Litchfield counties, in trying to keep certain people out)....many people believe our beaches are inferior to Rhode Island beaches, which do open onto the Atlantic Ocean....to me, it's just not a debate I really have a heart in as I don't often visit the beach....and to be honest, the Hubs and I like Rhode Island and we head there frequently on day trips....

But we have more than salt water beaches...there are a lot of lakes and the two major rivers that cut through the state, the Connecticut River and the Thames River, also have beaches....

I have a friend, who lives in New London, and spends most of the summer at the beach, on the Thames River (it's down the street from her)


I have another friend, who has a family home on a lake in Connecticut and they spend several weekends there....and another who has a yearly pass to Winding Trails which has a lake

So, although we do not have any real "ocean" beaches....there are plenty of places to visit a beach in Connecticut...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We only have fresh water beaches here too and I prefer them in many ways - I hate getting salt in my eyes in the sea! I am loving learning about Connecticut!