Sunday, October 3, 2010

Alpacas...

Today I visited an alpaca farm...Burgis Brook Alpacas in Canterbury, CT. I've been wanting to visit this farm for awhile. I bought some of their yarn at Rhinebeck last year or the year before....I love alpacas and have visited another alpaca farm, Hunter Hill, in Bristol, CT

I was heading out to Coventry to go to the Knitting Nook (website is down) to buy Stick-ly Socks by Candace Eisner Strick. They had it at the Fiber Twist festival, but I didn't have enough cash on me at the time...I still don't know how to knit socks, but have now bought two books, this one and Cat Bordhi's book one of New Pathways..I'm also eyeing Cookie A's Sock Innovation....So I headed out to Canterbury after I bought the book.....

Mark and Alisa, the owners, are such nice people! Alisa was not available, but her dad and then Mark came to help me. Then Mark took me up to meet the animals. They also have a guard llama, Muffin, but I couldn't get a great picture of her.....They were so pretty and they are curious animals....The dark brown one, I got a back shot of her, is about ready to have her cria (baby)and I could see the baby poking her Mama.....






I bought some Teal Heather yarn, the grey one with his head down, in the middle of the others donated the fiber for my skeins. It's very soft...But there was another reason I went to Burgis...they have this cool dpn needle holder made out of cherry wood. I had seen one made out of a metal cylinder, but really liked the look of this one.
(sorry so dark, it was night by the time I got home)
I saw it at Fiber Twist and was going to visit them at Rhinebeck, but figured, what the heck I'd go today....so a book, some yarn and a needle holder...and some great alpacas....But you should visit them at Rhinebeck, barn 27..booths 31 and 32....

2 comments:

Sherri said...

Love those photos! Cool dpn holder.

Ken said...

Candace Eisner Strick (who happens to be my wife!) has a video at youtube where she demonstrates the recommended cast-on for her new easy sock-knitting method. Hope you enjoy her book!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCo_BY3mCF4