Monday, April 23, 2012

Day 1 – 3KCBWDAY1

6774275964_e2e5651cee

Day 1 - Colour Lovers

Colour is one of our greatest expressions of ourselves when we choose to knit or crochet, so how do you choose what colours you buy and crochet or knit with. Have a look through your stash and see if there is a predominance of one colour. Do the same with your finished projects - do they match? Do you love a rainbow of bright hues, or more subdued tones. How much attention do you pay to the original colour that a garment is knit in when you see a pattern? Tell readers about your love or confusion over colour.

I am mostly attracted to color over type of fiber.  I will be drawn in by the color before I even think about the fiber or weight. 

Green is my major color, it’ll always draw me in first, after that, it is shades of purple and the autumn colors, the deep red, burnt orange, pumpkin, browns. But I am also very attracted by variegated yarn, I have more variegated and striped yarn in my stash than anything else.

So taking a look at a small section of my stash (and I have very bad lighting)

DSC02471 It is mostly greens, teals, purples, and variegated (sorry about the bed covers underneath clashing)

I don’t shy away from brights, like the Giaia’s Colors up in the top left corner, but it’s not the first thing I reach for…I rarely work with pastels, unless it’s a request from a Mom-to-Be, although I do have some in baby yarn.

I rarely buy anything in the peachy colorway…it doesn’t look good on me and I own no clothing that color.  I will do strong pinks, but the softest pink I have is a rose color.

Now my projects need a bit of a disclaimer….there is an abundance of blue and silver/grey….while I love silver/grey (I wore it almost exclusively my junior year of high school) I am not a big blue fan.  However, since joining Nerd Wars and being on team Stargate, I’ve made several things to match the colors of the gate…

gate

So some of my handmades…

DSC02475 Hats

DSC02472 Cowls

DSC02474 Sets

DSC02476 Scarves and a lone green cowl

DSC02477 Fingerless gloves (with the mate missing to the bottom one)

My favorites:  The fingerless gloves are the yellow, variegated.  This is a yarn from Creatively Dyed.

My scarves is my Kathy Merrick Chain Lace Big Fat Scarf made with Kiogu.

My sets is the Mission Falls granny square set.

The hats: The green one on the bottom left, the striped purple in the middle and the blue/purple one in top right with Nerd Wars pin.

My cowl is the black one.

When looking at patterns, if it is made in a green yarn, I will usually stop and take a look at it.  It is definitely the yarn that attracts me to a pattern first.

10 comments:

pinkundine said...

I'm not a fan of pastels either, although I don't knit with strong colours as often as I should!

Unknown said...

Great stash you have there!
Nice and colourful.

x

Nicole said...

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure I've ever bought a peachy tone but likely for the same reason, it doesn't look good on me. Green is one of my top choices as well just for the amount of shades it comes in!

juicyknits said...

There are some nice greens in your stash. Makes me want some too.

Renee Anne said...

I'm the same way about green......but I guess I'm also somewhat of a fiber snob. It depends on what it is, I guess.

Paige said...

I love seeing part of your stash and al of those cute hats! I blogged about this today too. It was kind of funny to see all of the reds/pinks in my stash! www.paperstarfish.prettyposies.com

Jen Hagan said...

Look at all that pretty yarn! Look at all those pretty projects! Thanks for letting us see. You are a very colorful lady!

Liz Washburn said...

Thanks for posting a comment on my blog. (I don't get a lot of traffic.) Your stash contains beautiful colors. Also, I love The Secret Garden, too.

Kell said...

I think a lot of us gravitate to the greens. That Giaia's is really pretty. I've gotten out of my comfort zone with some bright greens, too.

Ana BC said...

Is that really just a "small" part of your stash?!?! I shouldnt be surprised because I have a lot too ;-) Lovely colors, and projects.
See you around in Blog Week.
Ana BC