Wednesday, April 25, 2012

DAY 3 – 3KCBWDAY3

 
6774275964_e2e5651cee
Day 3 - Your Knitting Or Crochet Hero
Blog about someone in the fiber crafts who truly inspires you. There are not too many guidelines for this, it's really about introducing your readers to someone who they might not know who is an inspiration to you. It might be a family member or friend, a specific designer or writer, indie dyer or another blogger. If you are writing about a knitting designer and you have knitted some of their designs, don't forget to show them off. Remember to get permission from the owner if you wish to use another person's pictures.
Last year I blogged about Kathy Merrick.  I love her designs and her use of color.  Her Chain Lace Big Fat Scarf is probably the favorite thing I’ve made this past year. I’ve very excited she has the cover of the upcoming Vogue Crochet
 
Last year, at this time, I was not knitting.  I figured I could make whatever I wanted with crochet and I was happy with it.

Then I started noticing knitted socks and I fell in love and so I embarked on the knitting adventure, specifically for socks.

The one name I heard over and over was Cookie A.  Then I bought her book (no I could not yet knit) Sock Innovation and that was it.

I have now three complete pairs of socks, none are Cookie A patterns.  I am working on my first Cookie A pattern right now – Kai-Mei.  It will also be my first bit of lace and my first foray into knit chart reading, but it is a small chart.

And referring back to Monday’s topic of color, it was the color that attracted me first to these socks and I actually went and bought the same yarn – Dreams in Color in Happy Forest.
I also joined her sock club this year.  So I guess you could say that Cookie A was a major inspiration in my choosing to learn to knit.

And I’ve bought a lot more books and patterns
DSC02313
DSC00376
DSC01664
DSC02434

Please type in 3KCBWDAY3 for more inspiration…..

11 comments:

yellowpurplezebra said...

Cookie A. is a brilliant choice. Good luck with the Kai-Mei - I think socks are a great way to learn new techniques like lace.

Karen said...

Cookie A is brilliant! She designs fantastic sock patterns.
Your socks are lovely! Kai-Mei is a great pattern. I knit them right after the book came out. You'll love knitting them. They are fun socks to wear too.

Truly Myrtle said...

Can't believe you've got so good in a year! I have sock innovation too - fab book. I just made a pair for my sister - Angee. I've blogged about them. They were super fun to knit...not too tricky and really lovely in the end. I can highly recommend them!

Hi, I'm Vicki said...

WOW well done you, knitting socks is my nemesis. Yours are all so gorgeous - the last pair are my favourite. have a knitty wednesday xxx

Vivianne said...

LOL you prove (again) that sock-knitting is addictive and obsessive :-)

Stacey (FreshStitches) said...

LOVE Cookie A!

knit one, knit two said...

Yay for cookie a!

Pirate said...

Cookie A. is one of my knitting heroines too! I had the good fortune to take a sock design class with her a few years ago. I learned so much!

Carolina22 said...

What a neat story! And I love Dream in Color yarn too :)

Emma said...

I love Cookie A, although I'll admit I haven't knit any of her designs :)

Stefanie said...

It's so nice to meet another who was inspired by Cookie A. I coveted her Sock. Knit. Love. book for the longest time! Finally I was gifted w/an Amazon GC and spent it quick style on Cookie's book! I didn't even know how to knit socks!
But she inspired me to learn. I learned on a baby sock pattern and made simple socks for my hubbie first. Finally after purchasing limited edition, dyed yarn from VOGUE Knitting Live!, L.A., I hunkered down to knit Monkey socks!
I'm so envious of how you joined Cookie's sock club! The socks you have made so far are terrific! Keep on goin'!