Thursday, August 9, 2012

Do You Enjoy Your Company?

My friend, Lori, posted today about spending time with herself.  As an adult, I've spent a lot of time by myself.  My husband used to run a "mom-pop" retail store and was there the majority of the time.  I was in college and then I started working...and we had opposite hours.  I was up and out by 7, he didn't open until 10.  I was in bed by 10 or 11, he didn't get home until after 9.  As we did not have kids, I spent a lot of time on my own.  I still do....I'm off for the summer and he is now working.  We do see each other more and we try to have day dates when we can, but I still spend a lot of time alone.  I'm okay with that.  I like my company. I even go to the movies by myself (oh the horror!)

Yesterday I decided to walk to the library for Knit Night.  I am car-less, at the moment.  It was damaged in a storm a couple Saturdays ago.  It'll be at the body shop for 5 days.  So I'm not only alone, I'm stuck at home....no biggie, plenty of projects to work on (which doesn't seem to include cleaning, can't seem to get motivated for that!) 

But last night I decided to head to the library, as it's not a long walk.  The Hubs picked me up at the end, as he had gotten home about 7. 

It was a nice walk...
Lots of kids and families at the park.

Down the hill...
The library is down on the left.  When I was a kid, we lived about 15 minutes walk away and I used to walk to the library almost every day.  I once spent an entire day researching all The Little Rascals (just for fun)...back before the Internet!  So in actual books!

I used to walk everywhere....

Only one other person showed up for Knit Night, but that was fine, we just sat and chatted....

And I continued my socks....look!  I have toes on my first ever toe-up, two-at-a-time socks!

I took this picture earlier in the day when I was sitting on my porch swing....they are a bit further on

Today....it is going to be humid and we are going to have rain and thunderstorms....I may be holed up the a/c room most of the day....How about you?

And to leave you with Lori's title for the day...but the version I know...



2 comments:

Renee Anne said...

I relish my "alone" time because I spend so much of my time with Little Man. I shouldn't complain about my lack of "alone" time but sometimes, I wish I could have more of it or that we knew someone around here so I could have more of it (i.e., I miss having one of my really good friends around that adores my kid and is willing to take him for an entire day so I can do random things like sleep and knit...er, clean toilets).

Perhaps once we get a little more settled here...

Anonymous said...

Ahhh alone time . . . bliss. I start to crave it when I don't have it and Mondays are my time to do what I want, how I want for as long as I want. Being alone is a good skill to develop.