Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Yarn Along and WIP Wednesday - WIM Edition

So today is the beginning of the last round of Nerd Wars Tournament 5.  I have read the challenges and decided on a few projects to make this month....

The first is the Scientific ChallengeLight and Matter....I will be making a Boteh Scarf using Feza Nirvana yarn.  Yesterday will rearranging some yarn, this skein fell out of the pile.  It also became unskeined, so I wound it into a ball....It will make a beautiful, drappy scarf, albeit shorter than the pattern as I only have one skein.

I plan to start that today.

Intellectual: A Word to the Wise....I have two quotes that I have hanging in my classroom and I refer to on, at least, a weekly basis...

Eleanor Roosevelt: Noone can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Gandhi:  Be the change you wish to see in the world. (I know he may not have said this, but it is a great quote)

So I need to come up with a project based on one of those....I'm still thinking on this...

Nerd Culture: It's the Outdoor Life For Me....something we enjoy doing in the outdoors.  I'm making a sheep to represent all of the sheep and wool festivals that I attend...or maybe an alpaca...

Geek Pride: Masters of the Universe...craft something inspired by one of the creators of your nerddom team.  I'll be crafting something for Joe Mallozzi....as he is a foodie, maybe oven mitts or a hot pad.....in the shape of the Stargate....I may actually even send it to him...

Then we have a WIPs challenge....gonna finish my Jaywalkers
This is an old photo, I ripped out the second sock and it is only to the cuff right now....

The last challenge is the Giving Geeks and it is to be inspired by someone else's charity...so this one will take some research...

I am also casting on my Games socks today...as I kept waiting on them...I separated the ball yesterday into two and am going to try toe-up, two at a time....using this yarn





As for reading, I'm still plugging away at American Gods, Jane's Fame and Scandal Becomes Her.  I am only reading about an hour before bed....for some reason, I'm just not reading as much as I have in the past...


Please head over to Tami's or Ginny's for more blog posts....Tami's is not open yet, I'll link when it is...

2 comments:

Catherine said...

Those games socks are going to be fab! The more I knit the less I read, so I have begun to listen to audiobooks to try and not miss out ('reading@ Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall at the moment)

Anonymous said...

I haven't gotten involved with the Nerd War - I'm looking forward to seeing your finished projects.