Sunday, May 2, 2010

Knitting and Crochet Blog Week - Day 7


What a Yarn
There’s one love that we all share: yarn. Blog about a particular yarn you have used in the past or own in your stash, or perhaps one that you covet from afar. If it is a yarn you have used you could show the project that you used it for, perhaps writing a mini ‘review’. Perhaps, instead, you pine for the feel of the almost mythical qiviut? You could explore and research the raw material and manufacturing process if you were feeling investigative.


I love yarn. I own all kinds. I have low end yarn, from the nasty Fun Fur to acrylic mixes. I have high end yarn. The Hubs once bought me a skein of yarn that cost $90. I've never used it. I have rolled it into a ball (before I had a ball winder) I admire it, but have never used it.

I just walked around and took some random pictures of skeins of yarn and where they happen to be at the moment: 2 on top of my cpu, one on top of a box of cassette tapes (yes I know I should just throw them out and I will), one in a pile of mess on a stand in the computer/yarn/jewerly/extra closet room (we have no closets in our place) and a random skein of Wollmeise that rolled out of the basket and onto the floor...As you see it is all over in my apartment...



I like trying new fibers and unique fibers. I have corn, possum, sea cell, buffalo, and dog fiber among the regular alpaca, llama, rabbit and the many varieties of sheep.

I use my low end yarn much more than my higher end yarn. I just tend to buy that and hoard it. I take it out and pet it from time to time, but haven't really made anything with it.

I have also, thanks to Ravelry, discovered indie dyers (well also my trips to Rhinebeck have helped)I have bought so much yarn in the past year online, but again, have not made anything from it. I did make a pair of fingerless gloves from one of the skeins from Creatively Dyed I also used the skein to make a cover for my Hubs nook....other than that, my indie yarn is a treasure, but a treasure I admire, but seldom use.

I have now in my possession, 3 skeins of Wollmeise. On Rav, I heard alot about this yarn and was able to score a skein in the Haiti auction. I was then gifted two more skeins. It's gorgeous, but petting is all I do...

I just recently received some Sundara yarn - in Cherry Blossom - I love it! Not sure what I'm gonna do with it....


I guess the yarn I mostly lusted was Zen String Lotus Toes in Secret Garden. I really don't know what it was about this yarn....well yes I do. I saw it offered in a swap on Rav and thought about it CONSTANTLY!!!! I couldn't participate in the swap as I didn't have what they wanted....but I wanted that yarn...I trolled the internet for a couple of months and then, like a miracle it was offered again, in a swap I could participate in and I won it and it is now mine and I love it. It wasn't just the colors, but they were just smashing, but the name. Secret Garden, one of my favorite books of all time. I must have read it at least a hundred times by now....I am so grateful to have this skein in my possession and have added it to all of my other treasured yarn, but it holds a coveted spot in my yarn treasure and in my heart....

2 comments:

Allison said...

I'm really enjoying seeing I am not the only one crazy about yarn!

sara said...

Ditto. I'm so glad I'm not the only one with random balls of yarn lying around the house.