Sunday, May 9, 2010

New Yarnz




When I was in Corpus Christi, dealing with the family emergency, I reconnected with my Aunt Kathy, her daughter Tracy and my Uncle Frank. Kathy and Frank are my dad's sister and brother. My uncle Frank was in the Marines and we saw him rarely when we were growing up, but it was always a treat. I went out to visit him a couple of summers ago and it was so great! He lives in San Diego and I'm in love with that city!

My Aunt Kathy is my dad's older sister. She is the warmth of the family. She raised her family in Brooklyn, NY and we went every year for Thanksgiving. It's the one childhood tradition that we really had and I have such great memories. She lives in Florida now and I had not seen her since she moved there.

Anyway, she learned of my yarn obsession (my Uncle Frank knew this, as he took me to an LYS when I was in San Diego - The Grove) This is where I met Mission Falls 1824 Cotton for the first time.

So Aunt Kathy, Tracy and I spent some time at Hobby Lobby. We don't have Hobby Lobbies in CT, and I like their store brand "I Love This Yarn." I made my dad a bear in UCONN colors while I was there. I also bought the yarn for the "Nautical" and started it there.

I was very surprised when a box arrived at my house. Inside Aunt Kathy had sent me some yarn....What a great thing! I am so thrilled with surprise boxes and surprise boxes filled with yarn are THE BEST!!! She sent me some Red Heart, but in addition she also sent some yummy SWTC Therapi in Jade - oh is this soft! And my absolute favorite fiber alpaca from Wake Robin Alpacas in Georgia. They were from a shop in Georgia called Sugarfoot Yarns in Peachtree City, GA. If I ever get there, I'll have to look them up.



What a wonderful and thoughtful surprise! Thank you Aunt Kathy! I love you!

Now I did purchase some new yarnz yesterday on a jaunt throughout Litchfield County. There are two LYS in Torrington. One, Hither and Yarn, I have been to several times. I found some great Koigu that looks like my Secret Garden and some gorgeous Nature's Palette in Iris that I am going to make a cowl with. I bought some gorgeous buttons to go on the cowl....




I also visited a new to me shop - In Sheep's Clothing - which is above a bridal salon. The owner was extremely friendly and I enjoyed my visit. I picked up some merino that she had dyed in pinks and then two skeins of Wisdom Yarns Poems in a green/blue/pink/teal variegate. She had a gorgeous felted bag she had made with the yarn. So all in all a wonderful day yesterday!

4 comments:

Where the nodding violets grow said...

What a great selection of yarns and such a thoughtful gift. A lovely surprise.

sara said...

Pretty yarn!

Unknown said...

Thank you for the nicer comments,

Anonymous said...

Yarn and Hither is a great yarn shop. The people who work there are so friendly and helpful.

I would go there when work took me up to that neck of the woods.

Oh and greetings from a fellow Nutmegger. :-) I live closer to New Haven.