Thursday, March 31, 2011

Day Four: 31st March. Where are they now? 2KCBWDAY4

Whatever happened to your __________?

Write about the fate of a past knitting project. Whether it be something that you crocheted or knitted for yourself or to give to another person. An item that lives with you or something which you sent off to charity.

There are a lot of different aspects to look at when looking back at a knitting project and it can make for interesting blogging, as much of the time we blog about items recently completed, new and freshly completed. It is not so often that we look back at what has happened to these items after they have been around for a while.

How has one of your past knits lived up to wear. Maybe an item has become lost. Maybe you spent weeks knitting your giant-footed dad a pair of socks in bright pink and green stripes which the then ‘lost’. If you have knit items to donate to a good cause, you could reflect on the was in which you hope that item is still doing good for it’s owner or the cause it was made to support.

I’m going to write about this:

th_crochet2001 This is an afghan that a friend asked me to make (the same friend who I’m making the green sweater for).  We went to the store and she picked out the yarn…big box yarn.  Unfortunately she picked out Lion Brand Chenille….I love the feel of this yarn, but will never use it again…(I made a blanket out of it too…)

I had to repair holes in the afghan this year…why?  Because the chenille snapped!  It was a pain in the ass to fix….hopefully it’ll stay together now…The colors are pretty striking together and you see that red?  That’s Lion Brand Homespun, I’ve never had issues crocheting with it, but it does loosen up some…

She loves it and it sits on the couch and is used constantly by her and her kids….I made this blanket about 4 years ago and it held up for about 3…so we’ll see if my “fixes” can hold up longer! 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also blogged about a 4 year-old project, lol. I love the colors. You know this is a well-loved blanket!

Vivianne said...

I always fancied chenille, because of the feel, but experiences like yours made me re-think ...

Where the nodding violets grow said...

I hope the repairs last. It is such a beautiful blanket.

The Knitting Way said...

That is true friendship, making an afghan for someone! Miles and miles of love. My cherished gifted afghans sit in the closet, as my kitty, who wears soft paws over his claws, gets them stuck in the stitches and either rips a claw out in his panic or I have to cut the yarn (gasp!). I can truly picture a family underneath this gorgeous afghan you've made.