Friday, July 20, 2012

The Miranda Hat

Awhile ago, Evelyn of Project Stash posted a charity KAL.  She gave away a pattern and asked that you make as many hats as possible by Sept 30 and then donate them.

I'll be donating mine to my school.  I did this last year too...Many of our students do go hatless.  I teach in one of the poorest districts in Connecticut.  Many times the parents just have enough money to buy coats and mittens/gloves.  Hats, many times, are not purchased.  So last year when there was a challenge on Nerd Wars and I wrote about my school, I had a few people donate hats.  I give the donations to our social worker (yes we have a full time social worker) and she hands them out to students and families who need them.  I get a bit of a thrill every time I see one of the students wearing one of the hats.  Since we are a preK-8 school, all sizes are needed...because have you seen the size of some 8th grade boys?

I finished my first hat on Wednesday evening.  It was a quick and easy pattern, although I got lost a few times and had to RIP back a few rows...I'm going to make a few of the smaller size now....

It is hard to see the pattern in my pictures, I apologize for that....



Every time I finish a new knitted project, it's a bit of a thrill.  I do tend to pick projects to learn new skills.

I also continue to work on my beaded Camouflage socks.  I finished the beaded section last night and am on the heel.....woo-hoo....

Please visit...



10 comments:

Linda said...

Your hat is lovely and I love the colour!

Minding My Own Stitches said...

Cute hat! I'm participating in the Project: Stash KAL too! I'm lynnw63 on Ravelry. If you pm me with your address - or the name of the social worker and the address of the school - I'd be happy to send some of my hat there too! It sounds like a wonderful idea!

Gracey is not my name.... said...

Thanks! I'll pm you!

Kathryn Ray said...

I like your hat a lot. Very nice of you to donate it to your school.

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

I love the green. What a great way of sharing your passion for knitting for a great cause.

Evelyn said...

Your Miranda Hat looks fantastic!!! I love that you'll pass your hats along to those in need in your school/community! That's what it's all about. : )

Wool Diaries said...

Your hat is lovely. The reason for knitting these hats is the best I have read. I love the fact that you are using your knitting to help others.

WonderWhyGal said...

That hat is super adorable! It's wonderful that your hat is going to charity.

Paula said...

Cute! Great colour and of course, the cause.

a soulful life said...

What a sweet hat. I love the colour!